Castlelost FlexGen facility comprises of a 275MW reserve gas-fired generator, Energy Storage System, a Synchronous Condenser and Gas Insulated Swtichgear to support and back up the electrical grid.
These technologies complement each other, as together they provide a comprehensive range of electricity capacity and ancillary services to the grid and will assist with the transition to a low-carbon economy. This project is designed to operate intermittently and provide generating capacity during periods of high demand or when renewable energy cannot meet demand.
- Project Sponsors: Lumcloon Energy and VPI
- Project Capacity: 275MW
- Equipment Supply: Siemens Energy Ltd.
- Design and Build Contractor: Suir Engineering Ltd.
- Owners Engineer: Mott MacDonald
- Construction Commencement: January 2023
- Construction Completion: October 2024
Castlelost FlexGen Project Site
The Castlelost FlexGen facility is located on a 52-acre greenfield site 2km southwest of Rochfortbridge, Co. Westmeath.